FIBROMYALGIA
COMMUNITY
Best city to live
by pixifer, Jan 06, 2008
Sorry if this has been asked before but what's everyone's opinion on the best place to live for fibromyalgia. The cold and damp make me hurt so I'm thinking a desert location. Anyone have an opinion on San Diego or Tuscon? thanks!
Related Discussions
Member Comments (121)
381371_tn?1201126610
by Searching1111, Jan 12, 2008
You know, I live in Boise, Id and it is REALLY dry here.  So much so, I get nosebleeds and have to take guifenesen and evoxac to keep eyes in tears and nose moist enough, yet still have terrible pain.  You could  visit an area for a few weeks to see if your pain improves before moving there.

Where are you?  Warm does sound good right now.  We actually have snow on the ground.  I've lived in Tucson and it is a very big city, has some nice parts, and probably isn't as pricey as SD.  Tuscon also has some mountains near when you need to get away from the blistering heat.  It once got 115F there, and at 14, I was so amused I actually went and fried an egg on the sidewalk 'cause all kept sayin' it was hot enough.  Tucson would be hot enough.  The coldest I remember it getting there was mid 50s.  Lovely sunsets, too.  I miss it.  let us know if you decide to take that leap!  You must really be hurting to be considering pulling up the stakes!
381371_tn?1201126610
by Searching1111, Jan 12, 2008
I just considered how I feel in the summer, and Yeah!  I think it would make a huge difference.  Just in way of a warning, Tucson has a monsoon season that takes the cake.  Gorgeous lightning storms, but rains unbelievable buckets that turn streets into rivers that carry your poor plastic garbage cans away!!   I wonder if that kind of  barometric pressure could really cause terrible flares?  Help us out, Fibros in AZ!  Does monsoon season bother you?
by pixifer, Jan 12, 2008
I live in Austin right now. It's pretty humid here. I also have lupus and migraines. The weather pressure changes affect the fibro, lupus, and migraines, and the allergies here me prone to infections which causes the lupus to flare up which makes the fibro flare up. We've thought about Tucson but I'm worried about the monsoons causing migaines. But I love heat. I see no reason for it to ever drop below 50 degrees :)

I have a friend with FM who lived in northern Arizona and it did wonders for her. She's thinking of moving back.

My mom lives in Missouri and we visited her last month. It was wet and cold and I was in horrible pain.

Thanks for your help!
by lifelongstudent, Mar 18, 2008
We live in Metro Detroit, Michigan and I was diagnosed with FM 11 years ago. We spent 3 weeks in Florida and the pain was less. It is still damp there, but when it is warm and I can get in the warm water, I feel great. Anyways, I joined this discussion because we are pursuing a healthier climate as well. We are considering North Carolina because it still has seasonal changes, but when I check weather.com and look at that state's pain scale for the daily weather, sometimes it is worse than what we have here in Michigan. Any thoughts anyone?
by sandyplumok, Jul 02, 2008
Oh my goodness!  I've suffered from FMS for about 20 years now and I'm only 32.  I can't believe I stumbled across this site quite by accident.  I just started taking Lyrica about a week ago and I really thought I was doing well......until the weather changed again.  LOL.  I was just praising God for this "miracle drug" because I hadn't headache for 4 whole days.  4 whole days!!!!  Sorry, that needed repeating ;~)  Well, tonight my vision is blurred, my head and neck feel worse than usual, and I generally hurt all over, so I thought I'd do a random google search to see if anyone had actually researched the topic and I just happen to reach this forum.  I'm not so excited to be hurting all over.  Oklahoma is definitely NOT the place to be, especially in the spring.  The barometric pressure changes make you want to crawl under the covers and not come out until the weather stabilizes somewhat.  And just when that happens, guess what......another storm system.  I am extremely frustrated with this.  I am currently engaged to a wonderful man who completely supports me and helps me with my FMS.  His job, once we are married, would possibly allow him to relocate.  So, I would love to hear more on this topic and I can't wait to explore this site some more.  Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have!!!!!  

P.S.  I actually seem to do better in the winter than the summer, but I wonder if it is just the combo of heat/humidity here???   Any help is appreciated!  
by kitonthemoon, Jul 02, 2008
San Diego!!!  I loved it there.  Unfortunately it is way too expansive to live there for me now.

kit

by PlateletGal, Jul 02, 2008

My allergies disappeared when I was vacationing in San Diego... it was great !
by Jamy11, Jul 09, 2008
I lived in Salt Lake City for 15 years (I am not in the dominant religion there) and when the weather was bad, I hurt terribly.  That was DRY climate.  We have since moved to Central Texas where it's hot and HUMID!  When there is bad weather I hurt terribly here too.  I honestly don't know that there is a difference as far as fibromalgia be better or worse but I haven't studied any facts concerning the issue.
Hugs
Jamy
554442_tn?1221238825
by fibromama, Jul 09, 2008
I dont think any perticualr place changes the pain effect of Fibro,,barometric pressure and such can cause a flare up and theres just no way of getting around it.  Every state has its one element or more that causes Fibro to become more painful at times.  :)